Blackjack: Myths and Misconceptions

Welcome to the Golden Reels blog. Today our goal is to help you get rid of negative stereotypes about blackjack. A lot of players generate hundreds of myths, but we've chosen 10 of them, which we'll refute today. After all, misunderstanding the game worsens your chances of winning by forcing you to create the wrong strategy and make mistakes. Here we will not be like the others, so instead of assumptions we will use only facts. I wonder how many of them you have heard and believed before?

A closed dealer card is most likely 10

This is where the basic strategy comes in. It assumes that there are more 10-point cards in the deck, so there's a good chance that the dealer has a 10-point card in his hand. But that's no reason to base your strategy on that fact. Yes, there is about a 30% chance of that outcome, which is a lot, but there is as much as a 70% chance of the opposite effect! Use your math correctly and don't be fooled by relatively large numbers. Always compare the possibilities and choose the one that is mathematically more likely. 

registration on the GoldenReels casino website

Card counting guarantees that you will win

This is one of the common misconceptions. No man can count cards perfectly, but if he does, his own strategy can play against him. By counting cards, you begin to play solely based on the numbers inside the deck, ignoring the situation on the table. Thus, the dealer will win you more often, due to luck and trivial logic, while you continue to count the percentages. Moreover, when you have a chance to win in your hands, you will also quite well abandon the counting strategy, thus breaking your system.

You need to get closer to 21 points

The main goal of the game is to beat the dealer, not to collect any number of points. And the main thing is not to score more than 21 points. Yes, the higher the point you stop on, the better your chances of winning, but you can beat the dealer even with 16 points. That's why the first thing you need to do is keep an eye on his hand. Luckily, you have some of it open to you. On the other hand, the more you try to score 21, the greater your chance of losing. So more often than not, the wisest choice is to stop.

Return of the bet on an ace from the dealer

Some blackjack tables offer their players the chance to pick up their bet, or part of it, if the dealer hits an ace with an open card. And many players accept. believing that the dealer already has a high probability of blackjack. In fact, there's only a 30% chance of that happening. But if the remainder is 70%, that's your chance of there being a small face value card that will cause the dealer to lose.

Use of insurance

None of the functions in a casino exist so that the casino can lose. One way or another, it always stays in the winnings. This is what the insurance option is for, because in most cases, if it is selected, the casino remains in the black. This feature is very often used by inexperienced players. This function is similar to the return bet, only with it the player also loses a part of the money set, which makes its choice even more unacceptable. 

The game requires math skills

You don't need to be a mathematical genius to play blackjack. You just need to know the value of each card and be able to count 10+4+7. It seems that even a junior high school student can do it. Such a myth has been created by advanced players who try to count cards by developing their own strategy, which is based on probability theory. That is, every time you see a card in front of you that has already played, you must mentally subtract it from the deck, thereby changing the percentages (chances) in your head that the next card, for example, will be 10. That's no fun to play this way, especially since probability theory is called theory, and in practice it's not always right. Unless you play a million hands with it, then the numbers will roughly come back to normal.

A bad player can ruin your game

The bad player at your table has no effect on your hand. Let him go through the cards, essentially taking away the cards you should have, but that's like a philosophy of fatalism. You still make a decision, but based on other cards. It's different when a person like that is raging or behaving inappropriately. He may be drunk, or his blood may be too boiling with excitement, but he may psychologically affect you as well. In such a case, we advise you to change tables and not give in to the irritation that comes from the other player.

Photographic memory is required to count cards

The card-counting system is not based on remembering the odds of a card falling out. There are many advanced schemes where you don't have to remember how many sevens are left in the deck, etc. All you have to do is mentally add +1 when you see cards from 2 to 6, and subtract -1 every time you see a 10 or an ace. You have to count all the cards that appear to the dealer and the other players. Eventually, when the turn comes to you, you will have a certain number in your head. The higher the number, the higher your chance of winning, simple as that. That way you don't have to be a genius and have complex formulas in your head. 

You can't win at blackjack
Some players take the phrase that the casino always wins too literally. This just means that each game has a small percentage, which goes to the casino anyway, so that despite all the wins and losses, the casino remains in the black. It is even more impossible to win in a game where the player makes his own decision and plays against a real dealer and not a machine. Yes, if we're talking about the long term, that is, if you don't stop after a certain amount of winnings, then there is a high chance that in the end you will be left with nothing. That is why we recommend to set winning and losing limits, so that you are always in control of the situation. 

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 4.4 / 5. Vote count: 69

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

No Comments Yet.